Tuesday, February 21, 2006

monggo [mung beans]

Image hosting by Photobucket

I wasn't really planning on posting this..but I liked this snapshot of my monggo [mung beans] before I even started cleaning them.
My cousin went to the Filipino store yesterday and bought a bottle of gourmet tuyo [dried fish], a couple bottles of Sarsi[which I missed a lot!] and a pack of chicharon [pork cracklings]. This led me to cooking up Munggo Guisado [mung beans soup?] for dinner.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I normally use bagoong [anchovy paste] to flavor this dish, but as I browsed through my pinoy cookbooks [read: pinoy food bloggers]...I saw Joey's [of 80 Breakfasts] version using fish sauce on it. So this is what I decided to use this time. I cooked a medium pot-full and it was completely gone by the end of the meal! With just 3 adults consuming it! The kids won't even taste it so I had to make something else for them...fried chicken.

HOW-TO

Clean beans with water and drain off. Soak for an hour or so then simmer in 4-6 cups water until beans have softened.

In vegetable oil, saute garlic, onion, tomatoes. Add chicharon and flavor with fish sauce. Add cooked monggo and a cup or so of water depending on how much soup you want. Since I only used pork cracklings, I decided to add 1 pork cube. Cover and simmer. Add malunggay leaves if you have. In my case, I don't so I finished with a dash of salt and pepper and then topped with more chicharon for the last touch. SERVE and ENJOY!

No comments: