Wednesday, March 01, 2006

chicken soup for the s...

SICK...I've been hit by the nasty flu since the other night...and this is what I made myself yesterday for lunch. A quick and easy chicken soup.



The classic white minestrone aka sopas in the Philippines, is simple and fresh, redolent with the flavors of sweet onions, carrots, potatoes and celery as well as the aromas of garlic and butter. Add the creaminess of the milk and it's heaven. A definite comfort food, I should say, and a kiddie fave too!

HOW-TO
cloves of garlic
onions, diced
celery, chopped
butter
carrots, diced
potatoes, diced
left-over chicken breast, diced
S/P
water
milk or cream
chives
home-made herbed croutons

IN a medium pot, heat the butter over a medium flame. Add the garlic and onions and saute until the onions are transluscent, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, carrots and 1/2 tsp. each of S/P. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the diced chicken breast last since it's been pre-cooked and saute for another 5 minutes. Pour 2-3 cups of water, cover and simmer. Season the soup with more S/P to taste. Finally, pour a cup of milk and simmer some more. Serve on a bowl topped with home-made herbed croutons and garnish with some chopped chives. Let the hot soup comfort you!

Note: I love to add more milk on my bowl before I dive into it!:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ate ces,
hello! Im back to blogging! Somehow I try to find time.Sopasssarap, especially for winter!

Anonymous said...

thanks for dropping by violet!
today is a rather fine day, huh? i like the 50's..get well soon to your other half;)
btw, this is not my official website i just can't get thru using that in your site..if you want you can go to http://essences.efx2.com
or click on my name! hehe..

Anonymous said...

hey ces. thanks for dropping by my blog. im feeling lots better. I hope you feeling better too. the soup looks delic!

Anonymous said...

perfect timing; i was feeling a bit sick today and was looking for sopas recipes when i came upon your blog. thanks for the simple instructions! ;-)